Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Second Dog? Revisited

A Second Dog? Revisited



Back in June I mentioned that The Husband and I were in the process of determining what kind of dog we would like to add to the household next.  That process is still under way.


In fact, nearly 6 months later, we have explored a lot of options, researched some breeders and even more breed-specific rescues, but are still a single-canine family (for now).


Our “short list” for breeds is pretty much the same – and not at all narrowed down.  Newfoundland.  Saint Bernard.  Tibetan Mastiff.  Great Pyrenees.  All favourites.


So in our commitment vacuum, I decided to turn to the one place that could give me concrete answers and unveil some insights from my inner most psyche.


You guessed it: the interweb.  The land of online quizzes.


“]

I’m most like: Lisa Turtle! (Photo: fashionindie.com)



And there are no shortage of online quizzes that attempt to match you with your perfect dog breed.  I found 11, to be exact.  And I took them all.


Now, I might argue that Newfoundland – Moses, in particular – is the ideal breed for our household and lifestyle, but I’m curious to see what the “experts” say.


So let’s look at some results!


(Photos are of adoptable dogs available on PetFinder.com)


Quiz #1:  Dog Breed Selector, breederretriever.com


By grading qualities by importance on scales of one to ten, the best breed for me is:




St. Bernard (Elly, Mikey’s Chance Canine Rescue, PFId#19414949)



Not bad!  Though, not sure what bumps Newfoundland to #19 on the results list.


Quiz #2: Dog Breed Selector, PuppyFinder.com  


And my ideal dog breed is…




Newfoundland! (Geyser, Heart of America Newfoundland Rescue, PFId#20863395)



St. Bernard was #2.


So these results seem to be right up my alley.  But does that just mean it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy?  I mean, I am filling out the quizzes to indicate large breed, lower-energy dogs that do well in a cold climate.  Let’s see what else comes up.


Quiz #3:  Dog Breed Selector Quiz, DoggieDealer.com


(Terrible website URL, by the way.  Sounds like a puppy mill broker or something.)


And the jury’s back with…




Curly Coated Retriever!… ? (Abby, Pick Me! Pet Rescue, PFId#21105232)



Interesting.  Newfoundland was #2 on this list.


Quiz #4: SelectAPet, petnet.com


This website picked four breeds “most suitable” for my lifestyle, so I decided a screen shot of the results would speak for themselves.




This website has the caveat that results are based on “Australian lifestyles”. Not sure what that implies.



Is it just me, or are they a bit all over the place?


Quiz #5:  Breed Match, Eukanuba.co.uk 


First, props go to Eukanuba for having the nicest quiz so far!


My ideal breed is:




Bull Terrier! (Kenzie, Yakima Valley Pet Rescue, PFId#20868959)



Unexpected!  But how can you not fall in love with Kenzie?! Though I’m not sure she’d appreciate the long, cold Calgary winters.


Rounding out the top 5 were Newfoundland, Rottweiler, Bernese Mountain Dog, and Great Pyrenees.


Quiz #6:  Dogfinder Matchup, dogtime.com


My favourite quiz thus far.  Doesn’t look like a website that will give you spyware, and the questions are different that the others – more insightful.  Despite the results, I think I’d actually recommend this quiz to people initially considering getting a dog, based on the way it highlights time, exercise, and training commitments.


And after that glowing review, my Matchup results:




Akita! With a 96% match! (Ginger, Washington Akita Group Inc., PFId#20084568)



Not a bad option, if not a bit on the small side :)


Also recommended for me: Alaskan Malamute, Anatolian Shepherd Dog, Bernese Mountain Dog, and Black Russian Terrier.


Quiz #7:  Purina Dog Breed Selector


This quiz slowly eliminates breeds as you answer the questions.


Interesting concept, but once I was finished, zero breeds matched my criteria.  That’s a little depressing.


With a little revamping of my answers, my sole ideal match is:




Great Pyrenees! (Aspen, Friends of Animals Utah, PFId#19332264)



Looking at that photo, I’m not sure what’s stopping me from dropping everything, driving to Utah, and adopting Aspen!


Quiz #8:  Which Dog Is Right for You?  GoodHousekeeping.com


Not being Good Housekeeping’s target demographic, this should be interesting.


And the votes are in…




Bichon Frise?! (Benny, For Pets Sake Inc., PFId#21102764)



I’m sure Benny is adorable, but I’m going to have to say Good Housekeeping is just a little out to lunch on this one.


Quiz #9:  Dog Breed Selector, ShowDog.com


The breed that “best satisfies my requirements”:




Beauceron. (Zoey, Wags, PFId#15685531)



Very interesting!  Had to Wikipedia the breed, since I’d hardly heard of them and judging by the low PetFinder results (only 10), I’d say it’s a pretty rare breed.


Extremely varied results in my top 25 from this site, though, with lots of spaniels, hounds and terriers, so I will be putting even less stock in these results.


Quiz #10:  Dog Breed Selector, Animal Planet


On question 3 I’ve already decided I’m not a fan of some of the messages behind this quiz: the maximum daily exercise option is only 45 minutes?


As I moved through the questions, it seemed like someone who’d never actually owned a dog wrote this one.  Heaven forbid someone actually take this one looking for advice.  For shame, Animal Planet.  Let Ms. Stilwell at it, will you?


Nevertheless, my result is:




Another Akita! (Inu, TikiHut Akita Rescue Association (TARA), PFId#20517268)



Quiz #11:  Dog Breed Selector Quiz:  SelectSmart.com


(The last one!)


And with a 100% match, my ideal breed is:




Mixed Breed! (Buster, Edmonton Humane Society – no “mixed” search options on PetFinder)



Ha!  Well I can definitely see the underlying message from these results, and I must say: I approve!


The results go on to say that Leonberger and Newfoundland are both the next-best results, with a 72% match to my responses.


Phew!  And that’s it for the online dog quizzes.




Call me a sap, but Moses is the only 100% match for us I can be sure of.



After all that I can say with confidence that I have learned… nothing.  And gained no new insights.


But I suppose that shouldn’t be too surprising.


The search continues.


No comments:

Post a Comment